Overview – Team briefings

Team briefings are a structured system of regular team meetings to communicate important information down through the organisation in a face-to-face environment that fosters discussion. They differ from team meetings. Team briefings entail a cascade process. It starts with the CEO and their direct reports who prepare the core brief on an information sheet. This comprises key messages that all employees need to know about. The senior leadership team delivers those messages to their direct reports at regularly scheduled team briefings. Those direct reports, in turn, deliver the core brief to their direct reports, tailoring the key messages to meet the specific communication needs of their team members. This cascade process continues down through the entire organisation within a specified time-frame.

Grey TickThis tactic is useful for:

 

 Providing a consistent approach to communicating key messages organisation-wide.
 Ensuring all employees are regularly briefed about important organisational information.
 Making corporate messages relevant and meaningful to local audiences.
 Fostering face-to-face communication at all levels.
 Embedding a formal feedback process into the organisation’s communication.

cloudyThings to consider:

 

Start the team briefing cascade process with the preparation of the core brief by the CEO and executive team. It generally comprises important information on four main content areas: Strategy, Performance, Operations, and People.
Design the team briefing schedule so that meetings at each level of management proceed sequentially as quickly as possible.
At each stage in the cascade process, ‘briefers’ (usually managers) tailor the core information to meet their teams’ respective communication needs. The key corporate messages generally comprise 30 percent of the meeting content. The remaining 70 percent is a discussion of what those messages mean for the team, including allocation of responsibilities if required.
Incorporate feedback mechanisms to ensure questions and suggestions raised during the team briefing sessions are responded to promptly by the appropriate person(s).
Build a team briefing site on the intranet to post key issues raised.

Tone BulbHelpful tip:

 

Consider four subject areas for team briefing content, such as:
Strategy: progress and developments relating to the organisation’s key strategic initiatives.
Organisational Performance: progress in relation to key targets.
Organisational Operations: initiatives at a business level to help achieve organisational targets. For example, new policies, processes and products.
People: updates on people-related issues that impact employees.
Category: Face to Face